Site Meter

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Rainbow Week - Third Day


Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.......



Otis

Otis had a back yard to play in and a great walk to the lake during the summer. No problem behavior and no fear of anything. On walks he would meet some dog four times his size, and he would stop and greet with his wagging tail, then march on.

He loved to play and made up lots of games. He would place his ball on the kitchen rug, then pull the rug over it. He would go off, wait a few minutes, then come back to the kitchen and grabbing the rug in his teeth, give a pull. The ball would fly off and he would give chase, then start over again.

One day I gave him a biscuit. His pal, Eddie, a Lhasa mix, heard the crunch and came looking for his. Otis dropped half on the floor and nosed it over to Eddie. It was the first time I had seen a dog share food.

I've loved every dog I've ever had, but Otis was the dog of my heart.



Casey

Casey belonged to my aunt. My aunt lived on a farm and always had working dogs. When she retired, her granddaughter was looking for a home for a little poodle mix and Aunty said she'd take him. She said she had never had a 'play dog' before. He was full of fun and the two of them adored each other. He lived to be 14. Every dog she ever met got compared to Casey and was always found wanting. (Though no picture of Casey is available, he looked much like this)



Beau sometime before 12/19/1996 to 12/21/2009

He wagged his tail to the very last
And he smiles in his last, long sleep;
The troubles of life, for him, are past!
A shrine in my heart I'll keep.
His soul -- for I feel that he had a soul
And he thought real thoughts, I know--
Has found the ultimate end, life's goal,
In the heaven where good dogs go.

He has lived with me and suffered with me
Shed tears, in his dog like way;
He has placed his paw at times on my knee,
In a vain attempt to say;
"God never gave us that wondrous power,
To tell all the things we feel,
But, I want to say, in my canine way,
That my sympathy is real."

So I loved my dog to the very end,
And he in our daily walk,
Was never just a dog, but a constant friend
And we had no need to talk.
And I hope, when the summons comes, for me
To embark on the unknown tide,
I shall find his eyes in the Paradise
They say is the other side.

James Clarence Harvey

Beau, you were there when there wasn't anyone else. You always provided me with companionship and a good laugh. I tried to provide you with everything you ever needed; but this time I just couldn't fix it. I'm sorry, Buddy.

I will forever miss you, my friend. May you always have a warm place in the sun.



Nibbles died 12/22/2008

Nibby was one of those kitties who loved everyone, very dog-like. She was as adorable as she was loving.



Kiwi 9/19/2007 to 4/26/2009

From day one, she lit up our lives. I knew the day I met her that she was supposed to come home with us. The connection was instant and the moment I met her I knew I could not live without her. I knew I needed her as much as she needed us. I was right.



Shelby died 8/3/2009

There will never be another Shelby, my heart rat. Shelby wasn't like a rat, she was like a mini-dog in a rat's body. We lost her much too soon and very unexpectedly.




Trixie died in May 2009

Trixie was our foster dog. It makes me happy to know that we found her the perfect home, with a retired couple who adored her more than words can say. Trixie really needed to be an only dog and they really needed a dog to adore.




Toby

Morgan's best friend, he let her lead him around on his leash when she was only a tiny pup. He was always patient with her and she loved to run away to visit him across the street. She'd race up the front steps and scratch on his front door. He'd come running to welcome her.

When Tsar came along, he and Toby became best buds. They would sit side by side on the hill looking out over the neighborhood and seemed to understand each others need for space.


Fred 5/2/1996 to 10/5/2007

A big, sweet boy who accepted that pesky pup, Mugsy, into his life and became his best buddy. They shared a love for games and trips to the beach and even snow.



Mugsy 10/5/1995 to 8/23/2008

The little guy who captured so many hearts. He was ready for any adventure as long as his people were there beside him. When he lost his friend Fred, he happily accepted a crazy new puppy, Sissy, into his life. Although he will always be his Mom's heart-dog, he took pieces of many other hearts when he left us, too soon.

I'm Still Here

Friend, please don't mourn for me,
I'm still here, though you don't see.
I'm right by your side each night and day,
And within your heart I long to stay.

My body is gone but I'm always near,
I'm everything you feel, see or hear.
My spirit is free, but I'll never depart,
As long as you keep me alive in your heart.

I'll never wander out of your sight.
I'm the brightest star on a summer night.
I'll never be beyond your reach.
I'm the warm moist sand when you're at the beach.

I'm the colorful leaves when fall comes around,
And the pure white snow that blankets the ground.
I'm the beautiful flowers of which you're so fond,
The clear cool water in a quiet pond.

I'm the first bright blossom you'll see in the spring,
The first warm raindrop that April will bring.
I'm the first ray of light when the sun starts to shine,
And you'll see that the face in the moon is mine.

I'm the hot salty tears that flow when you weep,
And the beautiful dreams that come while you sleep.
I'm the smile you see on a baby's face.
Just look for me, friend, I'm everyplace.

Author Unknown

4 comments:

  1. More beautiful tributes to well-loved friends. All we can hope for is that we'll see them again someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for including Trixie in the mix... great to see Fred & Mugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice tribute to those great dogs. We have to confess to still finding these posts difficult but it is a lovely thought.
    love and kisses
    Martha & Bailey's Mum xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Sue. I'd write more, but it's hard to type with the heels of your hands shoved in your eyes...

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter Site Meter