Site Meter

Friday, October 23, 2009

Remember me?

It's been forever and a day since I posted here.


We're tepidly continuing our vehicle search. Edmunds is getting with the program, and their Top 10 Lists now include a Top 10 Pet-Safe Vehicles list. You can read the list yourself, but they collaborated with Bark BuckleUp, which is a new pet safety site to me. They do pet safety product reviews, and are promoting Bark 10-4, a program that donates pet oxygen masks to emergency service providers.




The Knight - my husband, who happens to be a fire chief - and I - a "retired" firefighter - each have rescued at least one pet in our fire service careers. My first was a nearly unconscious, massive black lab, almost as big as I was at that point, who came around as I was dragging him down the stairs in the fraternity house fire. Too bad the local TV station wasn't there to record it; Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is calm and serene in comparison. All he - my "patient" - needed was fresh air, but not all pet victims are so lucky. I'm also certified in pet first aid, but I can assure you, these masks are much more effective and easier to use than your own mouth and hands for delivering extra air to a pet patient...
Whew! I managed to get this up before the end of October and Fire Safety Month! (Also known as Fire Prevention Month. I won't link, because there are a host of different organizations that promote it and with my ties, I don't want to slight any of them.)

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a great idea for people to donate to. The life they save could be your very own pet.

    I'm taking a Red Cross pet first aid course next month. In case of an emergency I want to know what to do.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter Site Meter