Site Meter

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Dog Scouts


Sissy and I have been looking for the right activity for her since I had to accept earlier this year that she will NEVER be trustworthy off-lead. She's a great dog with a willingness to please... as long as nothing catches her eye or her nose to distract her. Her inner hunter is too strong. (She's the one standing up, watching the deer in the yard.)
She loved obedience class, and she basically trained Gretchen (all but chopped off in the bottom of the photo) for me, but I've been keeping my eyes open for something that would be just right for Sissy. Agility? No way, because around here, too many of the rallies are out of doors, meaning my girl would wild and free.
Gretchen thinks she'd like to be a therapy dog, once she gets a bit older and overcomes her desire to kiss everyone, but Sissy just has too much exuberance for that. Gretchen could also be a candidate for agility, because she is highly trustworthy off leash, unless she's following her big sister on a grand adventure.
Ever heard of Dog Scouts? Of course, there's not a chapter/troop in our area, but I think Sissy would like to learn, one merit badge here, another there, to be a better doggy citizen. I'm positive Gretchen would like to be more helpful, but this is about finding something for Sissy!
I'm hoping some of you have heard of Dog Scouts, or maybe even have one. Better yet, has anyone started a local chapter?

5 comments:

  1. I've never heard of it, but it looks like alot of fun.

    I, too, sometimes worry about Marge off-leash in terms of agility, but her recall is good as long as she's not sniffing something. Most of the trials here have some fencing up outside the rings, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of this organization but it sounds like a fun idea. I can picture Sissy in her little vest with her merit badges.

    Have you though of going for her CGC?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep...hounds dogs can't be trusted off leash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about tracking? It's great fun and she gets to follow her nose AND drag you along. With only a minimum of learning, you could do it.

    You just need to buy a tracking harness and a long lead, and make sure you always change to the tracking harness for this activity, so she knows this is the time when it's ok to pull.

    It's great fun!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter Site Meter