Well, here we are again in December. A lot of us are experiencing cold weather and many have had snow. My dogs love the cold and are wishing for snow, but we humans need to be aware of some of the dangers that winter present to our pets. We were reminded of the dangers this week when a friend, Barney, was poisoned by ingesting anti-freeze.
Barney is an outdoor cat, as his name would imply. Although his owners are careful about poisons, Barney traveled to a neighboring property where the people weren't so careful. Anti-freeze contains ethylene glycol which is extremely deadly for animals. To make things worse, anti-freeze has a sweet taste that is attractive to animals. Make sure you store anti-freeze carefully and that your vehicle doesn't leak. Better yet, use a safer product that doesn't contain ethylene glycol. There are several on the market and though they cost a little more, think of the vet bill and tragedy you could be avoiding.
There are dangers lurking inside the house, too. This is a time of year when there are lots of good things to eat. Some of the things we enjoy most can be deadly to our pets. We're all aware that chocolate is a no no.
Keep safe this winter so we can all enjoy the holidays and look forward to spring.